Social media has become an integral part of our everyday life. It has become the norm for millions of people to use it for interaction, entertainment, information, et cetera.
An average person has multiple social media accounts. And, a number of social media users is likely to increase in the future. 3.499 billion active users spend an average of 142 minutes per day on social networks.
Creating a social networking app is a lucrative venture considering the already abundant number of users. However, before you engage in the venture, you need to have a comprehensive study of your market, the right type of social media niche for your audience, and lastly, an all-inclusive business strategy.
After selecting the social media app niche, factors such as the app complexity, functionalities, platform, delivery time, and tools will have to be considered, as we shall discuss below.
Features of an effective Social Media App
This feature is essential in that it enables users to create their profiles easily and also the ability to edit their profiles.
The ability for users to search for pages, people, businesses, etc. is a must to keep up with the competition of social media apps.
Easy Account Authorization procedures
A social media app must always have an easy account authorization procedure that is short but accountable. The smooth authorization procedure should be useful for both the social media domain and also the mobile application.
The ability to link different social media apps is essential as it also allows users to share information or content with various social media platforms. A Linkable app typically creates a wider information relay and is quite advantageous when it comes to e-commerce businesses.
Having an in-app messaging functionality in an app is key to the success of the app as it is one of the primary functions of all popular apps
The push notification feature is highly efficient for passing across vital information to users. It is quite a remarkable feature when it comes to the entire mobile app industry, regardless of the genre of the mobile app.
Photo and Video Uploading
For an app to be successful, especially when it comes to social media apps, the photo and video uploading function must be available for users to express themselves through content sharing.
Categories of Social Media App and their Development Cost
The social media app has three trail brazing categories such as chatting message apps, short video creation and sharing apps, social media apps with expiry message timeframe, and lastly Photo sharing apps. Below we are going to discuss the app features, technology stack, the development time frame, and finally, the cost.
1. Chatting message apps
If you are looking to build a successful chatting social media app, you need to make it simple and user-friendly too. Let’s take a look at the features, tech stack, time frame, and cost required to create an engaging chatting app.
Features of an effective message chatting app
- Contact sharing
- Real-time messaging
- Multimedia sharing
- Location sharing
- Both Voice and Video calling
The Technology Stack of the chat message app should consist mainly of:
- Servers-Ejabberd, YAWS (multi-storage)
- Offline database- SQLite
- Virtual machine –BEAM
- Data base-Mnesia
App development time frame of specified features
- Notification development time is usually 15 to 20 hours
- Real-Time Messaging takes 210 to 220 hours
- Registration takes 50 to 55 hours
- Multimedia Sharing development time is 40 to 50 hours
- Settings timeframe is 11 to 120 hours
- Voice Call takes 200 to 220 hours
- Video Call time frame is 180 to 220 hours
- Location Sharing development time is usually 25 to 30 hours
- Contact Sharing development time is between 70 to 80 hours
Development Cost of message Chatting Apps
When you put all the factors into consideration, the total development cost budget comes to around 40,000 to 50,000 USD.
Short video creation and sharing app
If you intend to venture into the development of an app that creates and shares short videos, then below are the factors to consider.
Features of short video creation and sharing App
- Profile set up screen
- Create and Edit collage
- Video feed screen
- Registration screen
- Notification screen
- Search people/ video screen
- Login screen
- View people/Video profile screen
- Share video screen
- Setting screen
- Splash screen
- Notification management
- User management
- Admin enabled portal log in
- Flagged videos
- Reports management
- Content management
- Video and audio transcoding- FFMPEET, Amazon elastic transcoder
- Back end python
- Cloud AWS, Google cloud storage, Azure
- Media server configuration- HTTPS,RTMP ,HTTP
- Database- PostgreSQL
- Front end native
App Development cost
The total development cost for short video creation and sharing app after considering all the above factors amounts to USD 80,000 to USD 100, 000
Social media app with content expiry time frame
Below are the essential factors such as the app features, technological stack, development time, and the entire project development cost that make up a useful social media app having disappearing content functionality.
- Disappearing messages
- Video/ audio calls
- Contact integration
- Stickers and lenses
- Discovery and Geofilter
- Real-time messaging
- Video/audio note
- Cloud hosting- google engine
- Frameworks (Fullstack)- android SDK, cocoa-touch (ios)
- Front end frameworks
- Language- objective – C
- Platform as a server- google app engine
Transactional email- send grid
General analytics- google analytics
Development Time frame
- Real-Time Messaging development time frame is 10 to 150 hours
- Story feature development time usually is 100 to 200 hours
- Registration development time frame is 70 to 80 hours
- Disappearing Messages takes 120 to150 hours
- Stickers development takes 10 to 20 hours
- Lastly, Contacts Integration takes 80 to 100 hours to develop
Cost of the entire app development project
The full total cost of the app usually amounts to USD 45,000 on the lower side and USD 60,000 on the higher hand.
Photo sharing app
As an entrepreneur, when you are planning to venture into the development of a photo-sharing enabled app, then below are the main factors you need to consider, such as the app features, functionalities, development cost, time, etc.
- Report abuse
- Authorization with Facebook
- Tags and mentions
- Approval with email and phone number
- Add profile picture
- Likes and comments
- Viewing and following
- Feed display setting
- Messaging (Direct)
- Instagram stories
Application and data
- Framework and libraries- Django
- Language – python, java, objective-c
- Cross-platform mobile development using react native
- Load balancer- HAproxy
- Server configuration- fabric
- Exception monitoring- sent
App development Time frame
- Profile Creation and Edit – 48 to 50 hours
- Additional settings – 90 to 120 hours
- Photo Editing – 60 to 70 hours
- Geolocation – 24 to 30 hours
- Search – 60 to 70 hours
- Messaging – 120 to140 hours
- Account Authorization – 65 to70 hours
- Media Upload takes hours70 to 85
- Linkage with Platforms – 8 – 10 hours
- Design – 60 – 70 hours
The development cost of a photo-sharing app will be around USD 36,000 to USD 40,000 after consideration of all the above factors, such as the technical design and time used in development.
The development of a social networking app is a very profitable venture. Selecting an appropriate app category that suits your business is crucial. Lastly, a successful app is one consisting of a competent development team that can create the right app over a specified time frame within a specified budget.